How to Adopt a Pet
When you adopt an animal from Houston Pets Alive!, you are saving not one, but two lives – the life of the dog or cat you are bringing home, and the next dog or cat we can save in his or her place.
- Step One: Find the right DOG or CAT and fill out the adoption application form online. We will contact you within 24 hours of receiving your application.
- Step Two: Meet your new potential family member. Once your application is approved, a meet and greet will be set up with the pet you’re interested in. You can also email adopt@houstonpetsalive.
org to find out which upcoming adoption event this animal might be attending.
- Step Three: If the meet and greet goes well, you’ll sign the adoption contract and pay the adoption fee. The current fee schedule is $75 for cats and $150 for dogs.
Unsure of which pet you want to adopt? View the pets online, visit one of our partner pet stores (locations in the sidebar), or stop by one of our adoption events and meet them in person.
Learn more about our weekly adoption events here.
Our Promise To You:
- We do our best to ensure healthy, adoptable animals by providing a pre-adoption assessment and veterinary care.
- We assess each animal’s temperament to the best of our ability, and provide as much information as possible regarding the animal’s behavior and personality.
- Each pet you adopt from HPA! is:
- current on vaccinations
- spayed or neutered
- microchipped (plus one month of free pet insurance by registering the microchip)
- heart worm tested (for dogs over 6 months old)
Our Goals for Adoption:
- To find responsible individuals to adopt
- Raise the awareness and availability of shelter animals as loving companions and fantastic family pets
- Decrease euthanasia rates in shelters by pulling animals directly from at-risk lists and providing these animals visibility and exposure to the community
- Raise awareness about the importance of spay/neuter for population control