How to Adopt a Pet
When you adopt an animal from Houston Pets Alive, you are saving not one, but two lives- the life of the dog or cat you are bringing home and the next dog or cat we can save in his or her place.
- Step One: Find the right DOG or CAT and fill out the adoption application form online. We will contact you within 24 hours of receiving your application.
- Step Two: Meet your new potential family member. Come to our shelter at 8620 Stella Link Rd between 12p-6p daily or Email adopt@houstonpetsalive.
org to find out which adoption event this animal will be at.
- Step Three: Sign the adoption contract and pay the $150 adoption donation here.
Learn more about our weekly adoption events here.
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the animal you want to adopt.
- You must fill out our application and speak with an adoption counselor.
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- You must provide your drivers license number with current address.
- You must show proof of landlord approval or home ownership if you are considering a dog or puppy that might have visual characteristics of a pit bull terrier (even if they are subtle).
- An HPA!-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally required for all adult dogs.
Adoption Fee Includes:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- First or more vaccinations
- First or more deworming treatment
- Personality evaluation
- One month of pet health insurance
Accepted forms of payment include cash, credit/debit card, or money order payable to Houston Pets Alive! We’re sorry, we do not accept personal checks.