Dear HPA! Family,
We have been fortunate to have had Sharon Cosimano leading our team as Executive Director since mid-2019. During this time, she assembled and led a motivated and competent team of staff and volunteers that allowed us to improve and expand on our mission to save dogs and cats at risk of euthanasia and find them loving homes, while preventing unwanted animals. Thus, we are sad to announce that Sharon has stepped down as Executive Director of Houston Pets Alive! Under her leadership:
- We moved to our new facility at 2800 Antoine, which enabled us to expand our services and provide a more safe and comfortable environment for our animals, staff, volunteers, and guests.
- We increased the number of lives saved from 2,089 in 2019 to 1,750 during the first half of 2020 alone.
- We increased the capabilities and capacity of our medical clinic to perform more extensive procedures in house and also perform spays, neuters, and other veterinary services for other rescues.
- We increased our spays and neuters performed from 1,508 in 2019 to 1,461 in the first half of 2020 alone, preventing hundreds of thousands of a year’s worth of unwanted cats and dogs.
- Quick action and creative planning enabled us to empty our center of animals early on and to help numerous area municipal shelters empty to better survive the risks of COVID-19. Thanks to our expanded foster program we continue to help these shelters minimize the number of animals in their care.
- We implemented a new software to manage our animals and their medical history as well as a new software to better communicate with our HPA! family.
- Our innovative online weekend adoption events have increased our dog adoptions from an average of 10 per week in 2019 to an average of 30 per week in the first half of 2020. The events also allow us to showcase some of our larger and older dogs for a quicker adoption.
- Our adoption program for kittens and cats, in alliance with several area pet stores, has continued to thrive and increased from an average of 17 feline adoptions per week in 2019 to 30 per week in the first half of 2020.
We thank Sharon for her tireless efforts, great leadership, and for making Houston Pets Alive! a wonderful organization with which to be involved. She has brought HPA! to a secure financial position for us to continue saving and caring for our animals at this current level. We wish her the best in her future endeavors and know that she will continue to do good things for those in need!
As we transition from Sharon’s leadership, we are conducting a search for our next Executive Director. If you or someone you know has a passion for saving the lives of cats and dogs and relevant experience, please see additional information on this position here.
Houston Pets Alive! Board of Directors