Want to help save lives?
Join the Houston Pets Alive volunteer team!
(If you’d like to volunteer as a foster parent to help save a cat or dog’s life, please complete the foster application here.)
Volunteer applicants must be 18 years of age or older to complete the form. Applicants have the opportunity to include a minor in the application.
STEP 1: Review volunteer opportunities below.
STEP 2: Compete the volunteer application here.
STEP 3: Once you submit your application, someone will be in touch with you.
CAT CARE AT PETSMART STORES
Daily shifts: 9:30-11:30a; 6-8p
Pet match-making/process adoptions 12-3p Sat/Sun – Westheimer only
PetSmart Dunvale > 8380 Westheimer, Houston, TX, 77063
PetSmart Copperfield > 7050 Highway 6 North, Houston, TX 77095
- Feed and clean cat kennels (litter box, bedding and wipe down kennel)
- Play with cats outside of cages – you’re their outlet for fun!
- Monitor/report well-being and updates through Facebook group page
- Speak to prospective adopters, connect with cats and process adoption applications
- Optional transport of kitties between other store locations
Facility run exclusively by volunteers with no more than 8 cats in area
MEDICAL (8620 Stella Link)
Typical shifts: 7a-12pm; 12-5pm Tuesday/Thursday
- Option to observe surgical procedures
- Help with recovering pets following surgeries
- Clean surgical equipment
- Clean cages
- Check-in/Check-out support for surgical appointments
- Assist with fosters with other medical related appointments
- Optional data entry of medical records
Key role supporting both our medical staff, animals and foster families as they bring animals in for appointments
PET MATCH-MAKING & ADOPTION COUNSELOR
Daily 12-6p (can be two shifts 12-3 or 3-6)
Virtual; Off-Site events as announced
- Explain HPA! mission and available animals
- Understand prospective adopter’s environment and expectations
- Complete animal matchmaking form for each adopter
- Introduce to animals
- If no on-site animal connections, review website and meet/greet with pets in foster
- Review/approve application – identify/discuss any concerns
- Process adoption contract and payment
HPA! THRIFT STORE (2532 Nottingham Street)
Tuesday – Saturday 10a-4p
- Sort, tag, and display merchandise donations
- Engage customers and process sales
Promote HPA! mission, adoptions, purpose of Thrift
MARKETING & FUNDRAISING
As needed and remote
- Graphic design
- Flyer creation/distribution
- Setting up/managing small events
- Support social media efforts
- Help request in-kind and monetary donations
- Pick-up animals we rescue from county/municipal shelter and bring to HPA! or foster’s home.
Request access to Houston Pets Alive! volunteer group once application completed. This is where all transport requests are posted for you to respond to.
Have ideas not listed above? We’d love to hear from you! Email Volunteer@HoustonPetsAlive.org for other volunteer opportunities.