Houston Pets Alive is committed to helping you keep pets happy and healthy. Here are some additional resources to help.
Surrendering a Pet or Strays
Houston Pets Alive! can only intake pets directly from the euthanasia lists at BARC, Harris County Animal Shelter, and other municipal shelters. Thus, HPA! is unable to intake owner surrenders, strays, and other pets from the public. Here is a list of no-kill alternatives that may be able to help with owner surrenders and strays. For additional information, other rescues in the area, and advice on how to re-home a stray or personal pet, see below.
Tips for Lost and Found Pets
Low Cost Vetting
Download a list of additional low cost clinics.
Rehoming A Pet
- Do you have an HPA! pet? If you adopted a pet from HPA!, your contract requires you to surrender your pet back to HPA! Please email email@example.com to arrange.
- Are you moving? Remember that getting a pet is a life long commitment and you promised this animal you’d keep it forever. Try your very hardest to find an apartment or home that allows pets.
- Do you have financial issues? Check out this amazing guide at Friends for Life’s website with financial options and organizations that can help you afford your pet.
- Different reasons? Post on the following sites to ask for assistance:
- Need more information? Visit this page to find additional information on rehoming a pet based on what we have learned from successful adoptions.
- Need tips to market your pet? Download the Marketing for Adoption sheet.
Pet Friendly Housing
- Need tips on crate training your puppy? Learn more here.
- Are you in recovery and considering a pet? Learn more here.