Houston Pets Alive is committed to helping you keep pets happy and healthy. Here are some additional resources to help.
Surrendering a Pet or Strays
Houston Pets Alive! can only intake pets directly from the euthanasia lists at Houston-area municipal shelters. Thus, HPA! is unable to intake owner surrenders, strays, and other pets from the public. Here is a list of no-kill rescue alternatives that may be able to help with owner surrenders and strays. For additional information, other rescues in the area, and advice on how to re-home a stray or personal pet, see below.
Tips for Lost and Found Pets
- No-kill rescue alternatives for owner surrenders and strays
- Resources for lost pets
- What to do when you find homeless kittens
Low Cost Vetting
Download a list of additional low cost clinics.
Rehoming A Pet
- Do you have an HPA! pet? If you adopted a pet from HPA!, your contract requires you to surrender your pet back to HPA! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange the return.
- Are you moving? Remember that getting a pet is a lifelong commitment and you promised this animal that you’d keep it forever. Try your very hardest to identify an apartment or home that allows pets.
- Do you have financial issues? Check out this amazing guide with financial options and organizations that can help you afford your pet.
- Other reasons? Post on the following sites to ask for assistance:
- Need more information? Visit this page to find additional information on rehoming a pet based on what we have learned from successful adoptions.
- Need tips to market your pet? Download the Marketing for Adoption sheet.
Pet Friendly Housing
- Need tips on crate training your puppy? Learn more here.
- Are you in recovery and considering a pet? Learn more here.